Saturday, May 27, 2017

Professor Emeritus

A couple of weeks ago (yeah, sorry, I'm behind), my mother was given special recognition and the 1st ever "Professor Emeritus" honor for Dallas Christian College.  DCC is a small school in the Farmers Branch area at which my mother has taught in varying capacities for the last 44 years. She moved from Springfield, Illinois to accept a job as a music professor there in 1971.  

Her talent and poise won the attention of many young college boys who made a bet to see who could ask her out first.  My dad won.  :)

In 1979, she quit to stay home and raise my older sister and I, teaching piano lessons at home.  At some point not that many years later she went back to playing for choir and teaching piano/theory, because honestly, I don't ever remember a time when my mom wasn't serving the college in some way.  

In 2016, the school did away with her department and she quietly and graciously left with no fanfare. The president and other faculty decided to change that a few Fridays ago and give my mom the honor she deserves for the Kingdom work she has done all these years.  I am so proud to be her daughter.  


Walking in with other professors for the first time at a DCC graduation (as she was always the accompanist)

The president gave a wonderful speech.  I hope to get a copy of it.

receiving her stoll


the kids were so proud of Graemma, too

The traditional parents flanking the graduate pose - only reversed

No comments:

Post a Comment