Friday, January 3, 2014

Apology Accepted

One night earlier this week (I want to say New Year's Eve, but I'm not sure), Mikaela had a major meltdown at bedtime resulting in many, many tears, and for lack of a better description, an anxiety attack.  Mike and I were very concerned about this behavior and how to go about it without "giving in", undermining our parenting, but also reaching her and calming her down.  Eventually, we did.  It was odd, so we did a little research to see how we might combat, and ultimate prevent something like this from occurring again.  Then last night, as I was putting her to bed, we did our normal routine, reading "The Story", saying our prayers, etc.  When prayers were done, and we were saying goodnight, she said, "Mom, I'm sorry I did all that crying the other night."

I was blown away.  We had never mentioned that night to her.  I promptly told her her apology was accepted, she was forgiven, and used the opportunity to reassure her of my love and more importantly God's unconditional love for her.

I have a long way to go in my own spiritual life, but I am so thankful for my kids.  It has helped me in a way I could have never imagined.  Being their mother, loving them like I do, helps me understand, just a little, how much God loves me.  Me, the queen of meltdowns.

I hate that Mikaela had that "episode", but I'm so grateful for how it pointed me and her to Christ.  May 2014 be full of Christ-centered moments.

1 comment:

  1. So touching! Thank you for sharing! Praying for sweet Mikaela!

    ReplyDelete