Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Ten Years of Marriage

On May 28th, 2004, I walked down the aisle to my future with Mike.  We had a small ceremony at Dallas Christian College in the chapel.  When I say small, I mean there were about 20 people in attendance.  We did have a reception about 2 weeks later at my folks' home in Farmers Branch.


We honeymooned in Red River, New Mexico (sorry can't find those pictures right now) and moved into our first home, an apartment off the Tollway and Frankford.

During those first two years of marriage, Mike was finishing his degree from Texas A&M - Commerce in Business Administration.  He worked at Blockbuster for the first six months of our marriage then got a job at UPS which would help pay his tuition.  We took a short trip to San Antonio for our 1st Anniversary (sorry, again no pictures).  We were active members of Valley View Christian Church, especially in the "Young Marrieds" Sunday School Class.  We became an aunt and uncle for the first time.  (again, can't find those photos).

In August 2006, we moved out of the apartment and into our home.
Mike graduated that December.
After graduation he got a job in Addison at Southwest Re.  I'm sorry to say I don't really know what he did.  In March of 2007, we welcomed our first child, Cocoa Bean, our chocolate lab.  
In 2008 we started talking about kids so we decided to take a vacation "just us" before we went down the road to Parenthood.  So where else should we go, but Walt Disney World?


2009 would be a year to alter our family forever, but not before a few before-kid-memories.  In January 2009, Mike surprised me with a weekend get away in Downtown Dallas.  We saw the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, the Nassar Sculpture Garden, and the King Tut exhibit.  
In February that year, along with learning we were expecting Mikaela, Mike broke his arm.  Then in May, we celebrated 5 years of marriage with a murder mystery dinner at The Gaylord  Texan and opened a time capsule filled with notes, well wishes and predictions friends and family had filled out for us at showers or the wedding reception.  


I turned 30 on September 26, 2009 and Mike threw me a surprise party.  It was so wonderful to see so many faces.  Several had traveled many miles to come.  It was so sweet of Mike to do this for me.

On November 2, 2009, we welcomed Mikaela Belle into our family.  Having a baby, we soon found out, was exhausting, challenging, and rewarding, all at the same time, but we love her so and she brings us such joy everyday.  
In 2010, as we adjusted to being a family of 3, Mike also decided it was time to make a career change.  He decided to work on an alternative certification for teacher and began subbing in the 2010-2011 school year.  This began a very trying time for us.  Finances were really tight and stress levels were high.  Mike worked practically every day, even landing a long term sub job, but with no real job prospects.  I turned to the Lord more than I think I ever have as we struggled to get through this phase of life.  I felt the prompting of the Spirit telling me to hang on because something big was coming.  I trusted as best I could.  On February 12, 2011 something big indeed happened.  We were in a car accident which would result in 3 surgeries, 2 1/2 months off of work, and 6 months of occupational therapy for me.  It was truly a test of faith and I'm thankful for it.  While I don't think God caused this accident, nor was this necessarily the "big something", but He used this situation to bless us in more ways than I could even count and I am so glad to have this as part of our testimony.  

In the midst of all my medical needs, Mike got a job at Med Assets (where he is currently), through a friend from church.  It was, and still is, such a blessing.  Mike finally felt like he has goals, direction, and a career.  We are so grateful for this opportunity.  Life seemed to have a bit of "normalcy" again.  We joined a new church family at The Branch in November.  We were even able to take a trip to NYC with my best friend and her family.  We saw the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, toured the city, visited with my cousin, a caught a fantastic Broadway show, Godspell.  
In 2012 we took a trip to San Francisco and the Bay area for a family vacation and a chance to visit with some VVCC friends who'd moved out there.  

It was just before that trip, we learned we were expecting Nicholas Graem.  On March 18, 2013 we welcomed him to complete our little family.  



We've done a few house projects, taken short excursions to see Moreland family in Kerrville, and Louisiana, and just generally enjoyed being a family.  We've made some amazing friends over the years and have a lot of great memories.  Things aren't perfect, but these last ten years have been overall, the best years of our lives. We can't wait to see what the next ten years have in store!  Thank you to everyone who loves and supports us as we journey through life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment